Sunday, August 21, 2011

My very first blog

Hey all,
This is my absolute first time ever attempting to begin a blog. I am definitely a bit of a neophite, so bare with me. I am dedicating this blog to the books I read and my comments on them. I'd like to try to discuss full heartedly the various books I am currently reading, or have read and get as many comments I can based upon my opinions and the opinions of others. Reading is much more than my hobby, it's a lifestyle. I am so passionate about the written word, and those lucky enough to posses the talent to write them. I could gush about my love for books for endless paragraphs, but instead of doing so I'd like to begin my first blog with a book that I just finished last night.
The Magician King, author Lev Grossman
The Magician King is the second installment in this series by Grossman. The first book, which I finished a few weeks ago is The Magician. This series is a must have! It chronicles the life of, Quentin Coldwater, throughout his basically meaningless existence, until some very meaningful and bizarre things begin happening to him. Quentin is absurdly genuis and chronically depressed. He's almost too smart for his own good, he is bored with his own highschool life and utterly obsessed with a fantasy book series called Fillory. Withough giving too much away, Quentin is "invited" to take a test at a magical school, Brakebills. He passes and is tossed into a magical world that he had no idea existed. The Magician and The Magician King follow Quentin as he deals with loss and love and dealing with the very real problems that living in a magical fantasyland create.
I found that Quentin is an extremely likeable character he is relatable, realistic, and sarcastic, with a biting sense of humor that never quits. Many compare this series to Harry Potter, and I would not necessarily disagree with this assessment.  I harbor a not-so-secret obsession with Harry Potter and after having read the two Grossman books I have spotted some very real and distinguishable differences between the two series. However, the differences in these books make them evermore lovable. For example, in Harry Potter, (as all of you know) the main character, Harry, is faced with countless life and death situations, and although he is afraid, he always manages to pull through. Harry Potter is the main character and essentially the hero, and the reader comes to expect this. It's comforting in a way, always knowing that somehow someway the Chosen One will inevitably come to the rescue. I loved this about the series.
However, in the Magician series the opposite is true. I found myself waiting throughout the novels for Quentin to become some sort of magical prodigy, for him to be special in someway other than the obvious exclusivity of being a magician. This never happened. He isn't a magical genuis, although he is a genuis based on our standards, he is just a regular guy. He was scared and cowardly and pathetic throughout many dangerous situations in the first book, yet he was believable. It was a nice change to read about a character who was actually fallible, if not, human! Quentin is a character that I think many people will find endearing and relatable, if not inspite of, because of his many faults.
I strongly urge every reader to check out The Magician and The Magician King by Lev Grossman, I will be back tomorrow to discuss, in more depth, the goings-on and plot of these two books, and why I found them so enjoyable. Until then, Happy Reading....

No comments:

Post a Comment